Thursday 29 April 2010

Explanation to some of my thinking

In my work this year i have had a lot of people suggest to me that i should just make a comic as part of my art work. This has never appealed to me as something i wanted to do. Firstly i have never wanted to write and tell stories. I have read a few graphic novels, i think it would be silly to assume i could just create a decent one with a average knowledge of the medium. I do really love the medium of the graphic novel, but most of its stories are aimed at a male audience and are usually stories with a lot of violence. I had a idea in the back of my head for how my year would plan out.
I was going to create a story called "the 9" but sort of not make it. I planned on making characters and making pictures of them in scenarios i created. Its like im giving snippets of a story away without telling the full story. Sort of making movie posters and a trailer but never making the film. If you ever seen Frank Millers film The Spirit, i wanted to make work in the same way. Not the film itself (I've not seen it) but the way it was advertised with posters. This way i wouldn't have to write a story and i would get to make work in the style i like.
There were a few problems with this idea so in the end i didn't go with the idea of the 9. Firstly to make the scenarios and characters i would need a basic plot line and character arc's. I know that makes me sound lazy, like i didn't want to, but i did have a think about possible stories, one i wanted to be like the film crash and have people inadvertently effect each other's lives. Another idea was they were a gang of 9 people in Liverpool involved in the illegal drug trade. The reason i didn't make a story is i don't really have a message or story to tell, with a graphic novel its such a powerful tool for projecting your own personal feelings about the world. I feel a good story will make you think about things on a deeper level, an as i had no message my work would be hollow of meaning making it only a work to look at not think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment